Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre is still operational and ready to take your call. We are back doing outreach in some local areas. Please call our number 1800 229 529 and speak to our admin team. They will complete a client intake and a Solicitor will call you back.
Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre is a not-for-profit, community managed free legal service established in 1999. It is funded by Commonwealth and State Government via the Community Legal Services Program which is administered by Legal Aid NSW.
The goal of Shoalcoast is to promote social justice, and provide free and accessible legal services to the residents of the South Coast who experience social and economic disadvantage.
To provide an accessible professional legal service, responsive to the needs of those most disadvantaged and which promotes just and lasting solutions to legal and social issues in our community.
- To promote Shoalcoast’s services
- Identify and contribute to law reform issues
- To continue to build our relationship with Indigenous clients
- To identify and implement strategies to manage long term sustainability of the service
- Identify needs in our service delivery area in relation to Family Law/ Family Violence/ Domestic Violence
- Ensure that Shoalcoast is a culturally safe place for both staff and clients, and is well connected to local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and responds to their needs.
Shoalcoast started in 1999 out of necessity for a free legal advice service in the Shoalhaven, but has grown to be so much more than that.
Shoalcoast was the brainchild of the Illawarra Legal Centre. The Illawarra Legal Centre was the last free legal service from Warrawong to the Victorian border. Illawarra Legal Centre held an outreach service in Nowra, but it still was not enough.
For a few years Illawarra Legal Centre researched, identified and lobbied with the outcome being “Who’s Haven, Legal Needs of the Shoalhaven Community”. Researched and written by Megan Pikett, with assistance from many at the Illawarra Legal Centre, became the bible that would see our birth in 1999.
In 1998, a tender was prepared and submitted by Jane Cipants, and given to the Attorney Generals office. With much delight and surprise, the tender was accepted and funding was allocated to create what would become Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre.
The first task was to find staff and a home. Then it was to get out into the community, and we did just that. Everything from there was and is a blessing. We celebrated our first, fifth, tenth, fifteenth and most recently our twentieth birthday.
At our 20th birthday, we partied like it 1999, and reflected on what has happened over the past 20 years. The connections made in the community, the friends and colleagues who have helped us grow, the highs and lows, but most importantly, our clients. We could not function as a community legal centre without our clients, and we are proud to serve each and everyone of our clients.
In the 2018-2019 financial year, Shoalcoast did the following:
- We moved to our new office, 80 Bridge Road, Nowra.
- The Centre recruited more staff, due to increased funding for our new and additional catchment area
- We arranged for the Illawarra Legal Centre Financial Counselling Service to commence face to face counselling at our office, once a week, to ensure access for Shoalhaven residents.
- We applied for the NSW State tender, and was successful in gaining another 3 years funding from the NSW Government to enable us to service the Shoalhaven, Eurobodalla and Bega Valley Local Government areas.
- Our Centre successful in the NSW State Tender to receive new funding to expand our service in the Snowy Monaro and Queanbeyan/Palerang Local Government Area.
2018-2019 Annual Report
2017-2018 Annual Report
2016-2017 Annual Report