Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre is still operational and ready to take your call. Please call our number,
1800 229 529 and speak to our admin team. They will complete a client intake and a Solicitor will call you back.
Shoalcoast does more than just offer legal advice, we are passionate about reforming unjust laws.
Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre works to positively change laws and policies for the benefit of our clients.
Shoalcoast examines existing laws and policies and find where they disadvantage our clients. We then advocate for systemic change. We regularly make submissions to parliamentary inquiries on various issues to ensure the voices of our clients in remote and regional areas are heard by the law makers in Federal and State Government.
What is Law Reform?
Law Reform is the process of identifying unjust and unfair laws, and working to amend them.
Why is Shoalcoast involved with Law Reform?
Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre is committed to assisting the development and improvement of legislation that directly affects our clientele.
What are our Law Reform Goals?
- Identify laws and policies that are unjust, especially those that affect socially and economically disadvantaged groups
- Encourage attention to, and discussion of these laws in the broader community
- Lobby for changes to these laws and their operation
- Lobby for change to any inequitable policies and practices of government agencies and other institutions
What have we done?
In the last 20 years we have been involved in 77 law reform submissions including:
Law Reform Submissions
- Family Law System
- Unfair Dismissal Policy in the Small Business Sector
- Unpaid Entitlements
- Work Choices Legislation
- Child Sexual Assault in Aboriginal Communities
- The Care and Protection Act
- Out of Home Care
- The Health Welfare and Education of Regional and Remote Indigenous Communities
- Compensation for the Stolen Generation
- The Fines Act
Some of our recent submissions include:
- 2020 Submission to the Senate Standing Committees on Economics regarding Unlawful Underpayment of Employees’ Remuneration
- 2020 Submission to the Joint Select Committee on Australia’s Family Law System
- 2018 Submission to the Australian Law Reform Commission Family Law System Review
- 2018 Submission to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee regarding the proposed mergers of the Federal Circuit and Family Law Court
- 2016 Submission to the Reparations for the Stolen Generations in New South Wales Inquiry
Shoalcoast also contributes and endorses submissions made by our peak body, CLCNSW and other organisations in the sector, these include:
- Amendments to the Fines Act 1996 (NSW)
- Consent in relation to Sexual Assault
- Decriminalisation of Abortion in NSW
- Care and Protection
- Family Violence
- Sector Funding
Shoalcoast also meets with our local members of Parliament to discuss and advocate for improvements to policy and legislation. Our most recent venture was our participation in the CLCNSW Roadshow to NSW Parliament.
In January 2020 we meet with the NSW Attorney General, the Hon Mark Speakman SC at our Nowra Office to discuss the impact of the recent bushfires on our community and how are we are further servicing their needs.